Who are We?
The MSUM Society of Physics Students is our campus' chapter of the Society of Physics Students, a national professional association explicitly designed for physics students (We as SPS chapter number 4499 in zone 11 chartered on December 28, 1973). We also have a chapter of the Sigma Pi Sigma physics honors society which usually holds an annual induction ceremony in the spring for physics honors (We are Sigma Pi Sigma chapter number 306, originally chartered as the "Tri-College University Chapter" on April 30, 1973).
We are a group of students interested in all things in physics. We meet at 5pm almost every Monday (during the school year) in Hagen 305 to discuss issues of the ongoing Physics world and club activities. These activities include physics outreach to local schools and the community (including an annual Physics Show), bringing in speakers, and planning trips to interesting places. We also try to assist all physics majors and minors in career plans and arrange discussion with our Professors on how to present our ideas to various types of audience.
We have been an extremely active group and have been recognized for this in recent years. Awards include:
- 2014-15 SPS Distinguished Chapter for Zone 11 from SPS National
- 2014-15 Student Organization of the Year for MSUM
- 2013-14 SPS Outstanding Chapter for Zone 11 (one of 6 winners) from SPS National
- 2013-14 Most Involved Student Organization of the Year for MSUM
- 2013 "Outstanding Collaborative Program of the Year" for MSUM (for hosting the SPS Zone 11 Meeting)
- 2012-13 SPS Distinguished Chapter for Zone 11 (one of 5 winners) from SPS National
- October 2012 Student Organization of the Month for MSUM
- 2004-05 SPS Outstanding Chapter from SPS National
- 2002-03 SPS Outstanding Chapter from SPS National
The following students are currently (2015-16) serving in the leadership for our chapter:
- President: Wyatt Davis
- Vice President: Tyler Meehleib
- Historian: Eli Holte
- Treasurer: Andy Block
- Faculty Advisor: Juan Cabanela
Membership is open to any MSUM student, not just physics majors. We run the club based on the Physics Club's Constitution as filed with the MSUM Office of Student Activities.
- Our Chapter's Facebook page is here.
- Our Chapter's YouTube page is here.
- Our Chapter's Twitter feed is here.