Who are We?
The MSUM Society of Physics Students is our campus' chapter of the Society of Physics Students, a national professional association explicitly designed for physics students (We as SPS chapter number 4499 in zone 11). We also have a chapter of the Sigma Pi Sigma physics honors society which usually holds an annual induction ceremony in the spring for physics honors (We are Sigma Pi Sigma chapter number 306).
We are a group of students interested in all things in physics. We meet at 5pm almost every Monday (during the school year) in Hagen 305 to discuss issues of the ongoing Physics world and club activities. These activities include physics outreach to local schools and the community (including an annual Physics Show), bringing in speakers, and planning trips to interesting places. We also try to assist all physics majors and minors in career plans and arrange discussion with our Professors on how to present our ideas to various types of audience.
We have been an extremely active group and have been recognized for this in recent years. Awards include:
- 2014-15 Student Organization of the Year for MSUM
- 2013 SPS Distinguished Chapter for Zone 11 (one of 5 chapters)
- 2013-14 Most Involved Student Organization of the Year for MSUM
- 2002 SPS Outstanding Chapter for Zone 11 (one of 3 winners)
The following students are currently (2015-16) serving in the leadership for our chapter:
- President: Wyatt Davis
- Vice President: Tyler Meehleib
- Historian: Eli Holte
- Treasurer: Andy Block
- Sigma Pi Sigma Student Chapter Officer: To Be Decided
- Faculty Advisor: Juan Cabanela
The following students served in the leadership in 2014-15 and are currently still members:
- President: Dana Koczur
- Vice President: Laura Herzog
- Historian: Wyatt Davis
- Treasurer: Kyle Salk
Membership is open to any MSUM student, not just physics majors. We run the club based on the Physics Club's Constitution as filed with the MSUM Office of Student Activities.
- Our Chapter's Facebook page is here.
- Our Chapter's YouTube page is here.
- Our Chapter's Twitter feed is here.